Folks are starting to receive their Stormwater Assessment and might be wondering about this new bill. I have a few answers. The information below comes from the city website so don’t kill the messenger. The FAQ is where I grabbed these but there is bunch more information on the main page including details on lessening your impact. I should also add that these fees go into effect July 1st.
How is the fee calculated and how much do I have to pay?
Richmond proposes a three-tiered rate structure for single family residential (SFR) parcels based on the amount of impervious surface area that a parcel contains.
Rates per Single Family Residential (SFR) parcel
SFR parcels less than or equal to 1,000 sq. ft $25/yr.
SFR parcels between 1,001 – 2,399 sq. ft. $45/yr.
SFR parcels greater than 2,400 sq. ft. $70/yr.
What is funded under this program?
The main components of the program are:
- Regulatory Compliance including water quality monitoring, floodplain management, and meeting the requirements of the City Stormwater Permit.
- Capital Improvements including storm sewer installation, culvert and ditch upgrades, stream restoration, water quality retrofits, and storm drainage master planning and engineering
- Operation and Maintenance including inspection and maintenance of catch basins, drainage ditches, detention ponds, and other stormwater Best Management Practice (BMP) facilities
- Asset Renewal including catch basin and storm drain rehabilitation and replacement
- Example: Battery Park & Shockoe Bottom projects.